As you have seen recently, MAOTeen has been selected and approved as an official Certifying Organization for the President’s Volunteer Service Award.
The President’s Volunteer Service Award is a national award created from the White House. The President’s Council on Service and Civic Participation (the Council) was established in 2003 to recognize the valuable contributions volunteers are making in our communities and encourage more people to serve. The Council created the President’s Volunteer Service Award program as a way to thank and honor Americans who, by their demonstrated commitment and example, inspire others to engage in volunteer service.
The President’s Volunteer Service Award recognizes individuals, families, and groups that have achieved a certain standard – measured by the number of hours of service over a 12-month period or cumulative hours earned over the course of a lifetime.
It continues to be MAOTeen’s goal to encourage more individuals to embody the spirit of volunteerism that makes this country so great. Through this program, Americans of all ages, from youth to seniors, are invited to join MAOTeen and participate and be recognized by our nation’s president for being active citizens.
How to Get Recognized:
- Create a profile at http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/volunteer
- Begin the registration process by clicking the blue “Register” button
- Once you have set up a profile, from your profile page, add the ROS Key associated with MAOTeen, XKJ-8977
- Once your account is linked to ours, you can track your hours by adding service as you complete it
- What are the award criteria?
Any individual, family or group that meets the program’s criteria can receive Presidential recognition for volunteer hours served over a 12-month period or over the course of a lifetime. Criteria for recognition are:
- Recipients must be United States citizens or lawfully admitted permanent residents of the United States.
- Awards are issued for service hours served within a 12-month time period or over the course of a lifetime.
- Awards are issued for volunteer service only. Additional levels of participation with the organization, i.e. charitable support, are not a factor considered for the award.
- Court-ordered community service does not qualify for the award.
- Awards are issued by approved Certifying Organizations. MAOTeen is an approved Certifying Organization.
- Service must be with an organization that is legally established in the United States, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or one of the territories.
- MAOTeen can verify volunteer hours for the current year, going back to January, 2016.
- How many hours do I need to qualify for each award category?
- Bronze Level
- Young Adults: 100 to 174 hours
- Adults: 100 to 249 hours
- Groups: 200 to 499 hours*
- Silver Level
- Young Adults: 175 to 249 hours
- Adults: 250 to 499 hours
- Groups: 500 to 999 hours*
- Gold Level
- Young Adults: 250 hours or more
- Adults: 500 hours or more
- Groups: 1000 hours or more*
* Two or more people, with each member contributing at least 25 hours toward the total.
- Bronze Level
- May I apply service hours that I completed as part of an AmeriCorps program or received a stipend?
Volunteer hours must be non-paid hours.* (If volunteer is being paid a stipend hours served are not eligible.)
* AmeriCorps participants are allowed to apply the hours served during their stipend year towards the lifetime achievement award following your active year.
- How does MAOTeen verify my hours?
- You must create an account on the www.presidentialserviceawards.gov and log your hours
- Create your online profile and add the MAOTeen code, XKJ-8977, in the “your record of service key” tracking box. Do not add this code under the tab “Groups.”
- Begin adding hours for the past 12 months by clicking “Create New Record” under the “My Service” tab. You will have 12 months from the date of your first entry to complete your hours (January 1, 2016 to December 31, 2016) to submit hours for your particular recognition, i.e. Gold, Silver, or Bronze Award
- Can I receive an award every year?
- Yes, an individual may receive an award every year but must follow all the requirements as described above including submission of documentation.
- You may also consider receiving the Lifetime award which requires 4,000 hours to be contributed towards the award.
DON’T MISS YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO BE RECOGNIZED!